A busy week with lots of things to talk about. Early in the week my new camera lens and tripod arrived, and instead of taking pictures of the things I was planning on shooting, I played around with settings and got to know my new toys. I’m excited by how great these new items are, and am looking forward to posting more details in a future post.
Over the weekend we took a trip to Phoenix, where the weather, while not cool, was also not scorching due to the monsoon rains. I already mentioned that I went skating, which was so much fun. I’m still not over how pro some of the skaters there were. I definitely want to find a place to skate around here, since it is such a fun workout.
On our trip home yesterday, we got stuck on the east side of the bridge collapse. We ended up stuck in place on the freeway 2.5 hours until we were made to turn around and head back the way we came. We left early enough to make it home before dark, but with the delays didn’t get back to the nearest town until long after dark. Instead of trying to risk it, we stopped at a hotel for the night and headed back out in the morning. The detour ended up costing us several hours, and we didn’t make it home until after lunchtime. I’m so lucky to have an understanding boss.
Monsoon rains in the desert are nothing to take for granted. Several cars had to be rescued trying to drive through flowing washes. Growing up in this climate, I know it is most dangerous when it is wet, since the ground can’t absorb all the moisture. If you are headed to the southwest, read up and be prepared. It is so much safer to turn around and spend the night at a hotel than try to risk your life being swept up by what seems like a bit of water.
Have you ever had plans change suddenly due to unexpected weather? Did you take the risk or play it safe?